Eligibility & Assessment

Eligibility and Assessment

Our services are for people who need some assistance with daily tasks to continue living at home.

Am I eligible for any services?

  • Council is funded for a range of services by both State and Commonwealth Governments.
  • You will need to meet eligibility requirements for each different service.
  • Eligibility may be for short or long term assistance and a review can be carried out if your situation changes.

What happens at assessment?

  • Colac Otway Shire Regional Assessment Service has Assessment Officers with expertise in talking with you to work out what types of supports are available. This is usually completed in your own home and a good opportunity to find out other assistance that may be available within the community.
  • The assessment requirements may vary according to the funding guidelines; all assessments are completed in an individual, confidential and sensitive manner.

Where do I start?

This depends on your individual situation:

For people aged 65 years and over, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and over contact My Aged Care, phone 1800 200 422 or visit www.myagedcare.gov.au.

Further information about the Assessment process can be found at My Aged Care In Home Assessment.

For people 64 years and under, contact Council directly.

Further information about Assessment  for the Home and Community Care Program for Younger People (HACC PYP) can be found at HACC PYP Assessment Requirements.

Veterans’ Home Care - Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) provides a variety of in-home and community support programs for DVA recipients. Contact DVA directly about your eligibility for this service on 1800 555 254 or DVA Eligibility and Assessment.

For people 64 years and under, with a permanent disability contact the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) NDIS Eligibility.

What services are available?

My Aged Care Logo.png  
Home and Community Care Logo
Dept of Vet Affairs Logo   NDIS Logo  

Each funded services has guidelines around fees and charges - see each service for more detail or contact Colac Otway Shire Older Persons and Ability Support Service by email or call +61 (03) 5232 9420.

For callers who have a hearing, speech or communication impairment, and for text telephone or modem callers, use our National Relay Service on 133677.