Place of Public Entertainment & Temporary Structures


If you are planning on holding an event (either on public or private land) you may require a Permit from the Building Department for a Place of Public Entertainment (PoPE) or Temporary Structure.  The purpose of these approvals is to ensure the event complies with all safety requirements such as exits, fire safety and public amenities.  Where a temporary structure is being erected, this also ensures the structure is suitably located and sound in construction.

Where an event does not require a Permit, compliance with Building Legislation, Council Event requirements, and any other relevant legislation must still be met.

To determine if you need a Permit, please contact Council's Building Department on 03 5232 9400.

Application Form PoPE & Temporary Structure(PDF, 100KB)


Place of Public Entertainment (PoPE) Permit

Public entertainment is defined as an entertainment or meeting to which admission may be gained by members of the public. A Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) is defined as an area greater than 500m2 which is used for public entertainment and is either

  • Enclosed or substantially enclosed or
  • To which admission is gained by giving of money or other consideration.

Exemptions are in place for community based organisations, please contact the Building Department to discuss if this is applicable to you.

Siting of a temporary structure Permit

Temporary structures, like those used in events, are also controlled by the Building Regulations. A temporary structure permit is required for the following structures:

  • Tent/Marquee over 100m2
  • Stage/Platform over 150m2
  • Seating Stand for more than 20 people
  • Prefabricated building over 100m2

Marquees and Smaller Structures(PDF, 2MB)

Safety Officer 

A Safety Officer may be required to attend the event as a condition of your Permit.  The Safety Officer must either hold a Safety Training Qualification in accordance with Regulation 1105 of the Building Act 1993, or have qualifications/experience in emergency management (i.e CFA, SES, Etc)

The MFB conducts a Safety Officer - In a Place of Public Entertainment course that provides the appropriate qualifications.  Where an alternative person is nominated, details of their qualifications and experience (CV/Resume) is required to be submitted for assessment and approval.


Further Information:  Occupancy-Permit-for-Places-of-Public-Entertainment.pdf(PDF, 582KB)