Do I Need a Permit?

How do I know if I need a Planning Permit?

Whether you need a planning permit or not will depend on a number of factors including the zone in which your land is located, whether any overlays apply to your land or, if the development or use is subject to any 'Particular Provisions' in the Planning Scheme.  This information can be found in the Colac Otway Planning Scheme.

Many types of use and development require a planning permit, including (but not limited to):

  • Building a house or a shed
  • Establishing a business (including working from home)
  • Industrial or commercial development
  • Subdividing land
  • Building a dam or other excavations
  • Liquor Licence
  • Advertising signage
  • Clearing or lopping of native vegetation
  • Keeping animals

How do I find out what planning controls affect my property?

You can obtain a report on the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action website that gives you the zone and overlay controls affecting your property.  Using this, you can then go to the Colac Otway Planning Scheme to view the zones and overlays.   Alternatively you can contact the Planning Department on 03 5232 9400 for assistance.

 Other Statutory Approvals

As well as a planning permit from Council, you may also require approval for your proposal under other legislation.  Examples include:

  • Building Permit - Building permits are required for most works such as a new building, extensions, alterations or change of use of an existing building.
  • Liquor Licence - Liquor Licences are required for the sale and/or consumption of alcohol from the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation.
  • Septic Tank Permit - Permits must be obtained from Council's Health Protection Unit for septic tanks where sewerage is not available.
  • Footpath Trading Permits - Approval is required from Council's Local Laws - Community Safety Team for dining or the display of materials on the footpath.
  • Crown Land - Approval is required from the State Government for use or development of Crown Land.

These are just some examples of approvals which may be required and you are encouraged to discuss your proposal with the relevant Council department and/or external agency early in the process.