Frequently Asked Questions

How do I work out my cost of works?

The cost of works must include labour (even if you are carrying out works as an owner builder), materials and GST and be the commercial value of the project. If you are an owner builder it is recommended you give a breakdown of the cost of works with your application to assist the building surveyor in how you came to that figure.

What if my works are under $5000?

The cost of works no longer comes into effect when determining whether a building permit is required.  You should always check with a qualified building surveyor if a building permit is needed prior to commencing works. If works are constructed without a building permit, an offence against the Building Act may occur.

Why was I not notified of my neighbours building works?

Unlike the planning permit process, the building permit process does not require neighbours to be notified of proposed works if the proposal meets all the relevant legislation. Where works do not meet siting regulations, an applicant must obtain Council consent and in this case the adjoining neighbours may be notified and allowed to provide comment on the proposal.

Does Council have a copy of my building plans?

Council is required to keep a copy of all building permits issued in the municipality. If Council does not issue the permit, the private surveyor is required to provide a copy to Council within seven days of issuing. The building permits records of Council go back to the 1950s and a copy of permits are available to the property owner, however it should be noted there is no guarantee that a permit can be located. If a third party requires a copy of any documents, Council requires written permission from the owner to release the documents to that person. Should you require a copy of the permit please use this application form(PDF, 244KB).

Visit Council's Building & Planning Resources page for building and planning application and registration forms.