Noise & Nuisance

Man Cutting Tress Using Chainsaw.jpg

Council's Health Protection Unit handles complaints related to:

  • ongoing residential noise (e.g. pool pumps or air conditioners)
  • air pollution in residential areas (smoking chimneys, dust and more)
  • spraydrift issues that are not from farm or commercial sources 
  • Wastewater pollution


Steps for lodging a complaint:

  1. Confirm your complaint is an unreasonable residential noise or a nuisance. To find out about the different types of residential noise restrictions, visit the EPA website.  

  2. If you are comfortable doing so, you can talk to your neighbour. The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria website has some helpful tips on how to start this conversation with your neighbour. They may not even be aware that the noise is affecting the neighbourhood. Consumer Affairs Victoria also has some information on how you can raise your concerns through a manager, if your property has an owners corporation or body corporate.

  3. If you wish to make a formal complaint to Council. Please keep a diary with details, dates and times for at least two weeks to support your complaint, then submit it to Council's Health Protection Unit.


Colac Otway Shire will investigate your complaint under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008
You can contact us by email or report your issue online.

For any non-urgent complaints, a Health Protection Officer will contact you within 7 days.


Who should I contact for other types of nuisances?

If you have a concern about:

  • Noise related to domestic animals (e.g. Barking Dogs) – Colac Otway Shire's Local Laws Department: 5232 9400, by email or report your issue online.
  • After Hours Residential Noise (eg, anti-social behaviour or parties) – Local Police: 131 444
  • Noise from short term rentals (e.g. AirBNB) - Local police station is the first stop for any after-hours noise. You can also contact the hosting website for the accommodation to lodge a complaint. If the noise is of a repeating or ongoing nature, it can be reported to Council.   
  • Industrial and commercial noise and nuisances (including farms) – Contact the EPA Regional Office (03) 5226 4825 or 1300 372 842 or email:
  • Noise from new developments - You can contact the developer or builder directly. Names are usually listed on signage or vehicles.
  • Complaints about a noise from a Licensed Venue – Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation: online complaints or 1300 182 457. Liquor Licencing Victoria on 1300 650 367 or your local police station.
  • For issues relating to commercial or farming spraydrift practices - contact DELWP by phone: 136 186 or Department of Primary Industries (DPI) on 136 186.
  • Sewage overflows and blockages - contact Barwon Water by phone: 1300 656 007.


Other related information:

For information about pest and feral animals, grazing livestock or pet registration please visit our Pets, Animal & Livestock pages.

Find out information regarding Burning Off in the Colac Otway Shire here.