Quarry Consultative Committees
Key matters discussed at the Ondit Quarry Consultative Committee meeting held 15 August 2023
- Issues were experienced with delivery of the regular water monitoring reports prior to the meeting – a special meeting of the Committee is to be convened on 5 September 2023 to discuss this report.
- There were no exceedances of specified thresholds in either of the Dust or Blast monitoring reports for recent months
- Further monitoring of blast impacts has been arranged for a property owner to the north-east of the site following an enquiry about blasting activity.
- Nominations are currently being sought by Council for the two community representative positions on the Committee. Nominations need to be lodged with Council by 1 September 2023,
- Holcim intends establishing further screen landscaping along the northern boundary to meet planning permit requirements and excluding cattle grazing to protect the new vegetation from damage.
- Holcim is still in the preparation phase for a new planning permit to be lodged with Council in the future for quarrying of material from land they purchased north of Ondit Warrion Road. It is unclear when this will be lodged with Council. The company is still working with Earth Resources to finalise a Work Plan for endorsement.
- Next meeting is scheduled to be held on20 February 2024
Mooleric Road Quarry
Key matters discussed at the Mooleric Road Consultative Committee meeting held 26 September 2023
- No exceedances have been identified of the thresholds for dust monitoring or blast monitoring in recent months
- The quarry has experienced a quieter period over winter due to the rain and reduced demand for material due to economic conditions
- The ground water monitoring report indicates that higher nitrate levels in the some of the monitoring bores is unlikely to have resulted from the quarry operations. Southern Rural Water will be requested to provide its opinion on this issue.
- Council has undertaken short term patching of Mooleric Road to address condition issues, but is hoping to attract significant Federal Government funding, in addition to a commitment in the 2023/24 Council budget, to facilitate a significant upgrade to the road pavement.
- The quarry operator’s applicant to amend the planning permit conditions for the quarry is not yet determined. Further changes to the proposal are intended as a response to objections.
- Next meeting is scheduled to be held on 26 March 2024
For further information please phone 03 5232 9400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org