Burning off and Fire Restrictions
Fire Danger Period
Colac Otway Shire Council has received advice from the Country Fire Authority and Forest Fire Management Victoria that fire restrictions (Fire Danger Period and Prohibited Period, respectively) for all private land within Colac Otway Shire will end at 0100 hours on Monday 27 April 2020.
Burning off Outside the Fire Danger Period
Burning off outside of the declared fire danger period is permitted, subject to the conditions below:
- In Designated Township Areas burning off is only permitted on Fridays and Saturdays after 10:00am, and all fires must be extinguished before sunset. Please follow this link for information on locations of Designated Township Areas.
- For those in a Designated Township Area who wish to burn on a day other than Friday or Saturday, a permit must be sought from Council. To apply for a permit please complete the Permit to Burn Application Form (outside FDP)(DOCX, 17KB). Note – burning off is a privilege, not a right, and not all applications will be issued a permit and will be subject to inspection before processing application.
- Register your burn at least 30 minutes before ignition with Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) 1800 668 511.
- Burning of dry vegetation only. Do not burn green or wet vegetation as this may generate excessive smoke.
- Establish a fire break of not less than 3 metres cleared of all flammable material.
- Ensure a water supply is available with enough water to extinguish the fire if required.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- Comply with CFA conditions.
- Comply with Colac Otway Shire Local Laws(PDF, 18KB)
Designated Township Areas can be viewed on the map via this link: http://cos.cerdi.com.au/cos_map.php?view=13943_688bfe9
Rather than burning off, smaller amounts of green waste can be disposed of in your organics (green lid) bin which is collected fortnightly. For those with organics waste collection (i.e. within townships) this equates to about 7 cubic meters of organic material every year.
Alternatively you can reduce your fuel load and dispose of green waste by taking it to Council’s transfer stations at Alvie, Birregurra and Apollo Bay. Keeping green waste separate to other materials will significantly reduce disposal fees; further information is available on Council's Rubbish & Recycling page.