Background on CCTV at Colac Otway Shire Council
Council’s CCTV program commenced in 2013, through funding received from the State Government. This enabled Colac Otway Shire Council to install cameras in and around the CBD precinct, Colac Skate Park and the front and rear of the War Memorial. Council received further funding in 2018 to install additional cameras to capture areas subject to antisocial behaviour.
CCTV cameras on areas where there is a high community use and pedestrian traffic. CCTV can assist in improving perceptions of safety by deterring potential offenders and aid in the detection of crime through Victoria Police monitoring.
CCTV Camera Locations
CCTV camera locations have clear signage erected to inform people that the system operates in the area.
The CCTV system currently covers the following areas:
- Gellibrand Street between Dennis and Murray Street
- Memorial Square, War Memorial, Murray Street
- Murray Street near Queen Street intersection
- Corner Hesse and Murray Street
- Corner Gellibrand and Murray Street
- Corner Corangamite and Murray Street
- Corner Hart and Murray Street
- Colac Skate Park, Gravesend Street
Footage Storage and Access
All footage captured is transferred in real-time to Colac Victoria Police Station, 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is stored for 30 days. All requests for footage must be made within a 30 day period and sent to www.foi.vic.gov.au