Colac Regional Saleyards
Coronavirus Restrictions on the Colac Regional Saleyards
The Colac Otway Shire Council has made the decision to exclude members of the public, including sellers, from sales at the Colac Regional Saleyards as a result of the coronavirus COVID-19.
This exclusion came into effect from 19 March and is in line with measures taken by other regional saleyards including Horsham and Ouyen.
Access during the sale will be restricted to agents, buyers, transport operators and Council/saleyards staff.
The public should not attend, even if they are selling cattle.
We recognise that our weekly sales are ordinarily an important social opportunity for our local farming community as well as a place for agricultural commerce.
We need to limit the attendance to only the people who essential to the operation of the sale to ensure vital food supply chains can continue operating.
We ask for our community’s support in this measure, to support the ongoing operations of our saleyards.
These measures are in line with recommendations from bodies including the Australian Livestock and Property Agents Association.
The COVID-19 situation is rapidly changing and Colac Otway Shire Council is responding to advice from State and Federal Government that social distancing will help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Further information can be found here.
The Colac Regional Saleyards opened at its current location on the Colac-Ballarat Road in 1979 and is one of the most significant selling centres in the Western District of Victoria.
The Colac Regional Saleyards has been operating for over 30 years and generates in excess of $4.7 million each year. The Colac Otway Shire has committed to significant financial investment in the placement of a roof at the Centre and has continually moved to ensure the Centre is at its most competitive. Wood chips and rubber flooring in the pens means animal comfort is at an optimum, and the recent adoption of post-weigh sales means that Colac saleyards are advancing with the times. Post-sale weighing is considered to put less stress on cattle and provides higher yields, which leads to more consistent prices for producers.
- Location: 55 Colac-Ballarat Road, Irrewarra
- Market Sale days – every Thursday (excluding Public Holidays) Market sales commence at 8.30am.
- Sheep sales - 3rd Thursday of the month before the cattle sale.
- Store sales are held first Friday of each month (excluding Public Holidays), including the famous two-day Colac Weaner Sale in January. Store Sales commence at 10.00am
- Canteen open on saledays
- Driver rest area
- Two bay truck wash (fees apply)
- Entry via Avdata Key
Saleyards Operations Coordinator, phone: 5232 9468
Listed below are the contact details for the stock agents in the local area who use the facilities:
· Charles Stewart & Co., Jamie McConachy - 0418 522 879
· Charles Stewart Dove, Shelby Howard - 0432 341 394
· H.F Richardson Livestock pty ltd, Jesse Brown - 0418 523 530
· Nutrien Livestock, Paul Kerr 0428 235 089
· Nutrien Livestock, Phil Douglas 0428 174 089