Livestock on roads pose a great danger to motorists, just as pest and problem animals on roads can across the shire. If you own or provide agistment for livestock, you must set up and maintain adequate fencing so the animals you keep on your land cannot escape. Council is likely to impound your stock if they escape from your property. Officers can also impound livestock from within your property if there is a risk of them wandering and endangering public safety.

What if I find unattended stock on the road?

Stock wandering on the road can be a risk to road users. 

For stock on a highway (Princes Hwy, Hamilton Hwy, and Great Ocean Road), call VicRoads: 13 11 70

Victorian Police - 24 hours:  000

Colac Otway Shire 

If you find wandering stock on roads other than the major highways you can contact Council’s Local Laws-Community Safety Unit on (03) 5232 9400.

After hours (emergency): 5232 9400.

Charges for wandering livestock

The livestock impoundment charge can be up to $90 per head plus transport costs. Additional daily holding and feed charges also apply. Fines might also apply. For more information about confining your livestock contact the Local Laws - Community Safety Team on (03) 5232 9400.


Primary production is an important part of the Colac Otway Shire economy. Livestock is usually grazed in a fenced paddock on the roadside.

The following local laws apply when moving stock on or across a public access roadway:

  •  All livestock movement across the road or along the road must be supervised and be under effective control at all time.
  •  Signs conforming to VicRoads guidelines need to be in place while livestock is moved and removed directly after.
  •  Livestock should only be moved across or along the roadway during daylight hours.
  •  Any livestock deposits on roads or pavements which could cause a hazard to other road users must be removed as soon as possible.

Livestock grazing permits and livestock droving permits are available from Council for 6-12 month periods. There are no fees for these permits but conditions apply.

For application forms relating to various types of livestock grazing and droving visit the local laws & compliance forms page or for further information contact the Council’s Local Laws-Community Safety Unit on (03) 5232 9400.