Owner Builder

An owner builder is a person who constructs or renovates a home on their land, who is not in the building industry. You are not an owner builder if you intend to engage one builder to do all the building work.

As an owner builder you must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Victorian Building Authority for any works over $16,000 which enable you to progress and get a building permit from us.  

Owner builders are restricted to obtaining a permit for a single dwelling and associated works on a single property, in any five year period. Your building surveyor must be provided with the certificate of consent before the building permit can be issued. 

Owner builders must reside and continue to reside, or intend to reside in the property.

Visit the Victorian Building Authority's Owner-Builder FAQs page for further information.

Visit Council's Building & Planning Resources page for building and planning application and registration forms.