Accommodation Businesses

To operate an accommodation business within Colac Otway Shire you need to register your business with the Council. Prescribed Accommodation applies to any residential accommodation, hotels and motels, hostels, student dormitories, rooming houses and holiday camps.

Before starting an accommodation business it’s important you know how to comply with Council requirements, which are based on the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. The Council inspects premises before you can start operating and conducts follow up inspections of the accommodation facility to ensure guest health and safety is maintained.

Apply to start an accommodation business

If you want to start a new accommodation business you should contact Council’s Health Protection team on (03) 5235 9400 for advice on how to comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. If you’re ready to proceed with your business, then you can contact Council's Health Protection team for a registration form and to arrange an inspection of the property.

If you’re purchasing an existing accommodation business, contact Council's Health Protection unit to arrange the necessary Changer of Owner paperwork.  Your solicitor can contact us in writing to arrange this. Council requires a minimum of seven days notice to conduct an inspection and arrange registration forms.

Bed and Breakfast Businesses

Bed and breakfasts providing accommodation for six or more people must also be registered with Council under the Public Health and Well Being Act 2008. However, a planning permit is not usually required for B & B’s accommodating five guests or less.

To serve food in a bed and breakfast, the operator must be registered with Council under the Food Act 1984. This means there might also be a requirement to undertake a food safety program. Visit the Victorian Department of Health website for further information on this, including details on food classification.

For more information or to enquire about establishing a bed and breakfast business, contact the Council’s health protection team on (03) 5235 9400.