Running an Event


Covid Restrictions are currently in place for all events. 

Further information is available on

Please refer to the current Table-of-Restrictions-16-September-2021.pdf(PDF, 94KB) (PDF, 146KB)

Before You Start your Event 

  • If you are planning a new event - attached is a Pre-Planning Checklist to assist you with your event - The Event Planning Process Checklist(PDF, 791KB)  
  • Discuss your event idea and dates with the Colac Otway Shire Events team;
  • Develop the aim and purpose of your event;
  • Gather a group of like minded people who can help you run the event, don’t try to do everything yourself or you won’t enjoy the event;
  • Discuss how the event will be funded and develop a realistic budget. Council’s event team can help you with what sort of costs are involved with running an event;
  • Start completing the paperwork.

Planning the Event

Due to State Government regulations run during the Pandemic, a Tier 1, 2 or 3 application must be completed.  Please follow this link to the Coronavirus Victoria Public Events page.  

A receipt number will be issued which needs to be sent to the Colac Otway Shire as a requirement of the Event in a Public Place permit.  

Please Note:  All event application paperwork must be received by the Shire at LEAST 6 weeks prior to your event.  For a major or cycling event - all paperwork MUST be received 3 Months prior to the event.  Compliance issues take many weeks to resolve and complete so these timelines must be adhered to.  By not submitting your paperwork in this time frame, a permit may not be able to be issued.  

All events are required to submit the following paperwork:

  • Complete the Colac Otway Shire Event Application Form(PDF, 207KB)
  • Complete the Colac Otway Shire Indemnity Form(PDF, 90KB);  Please note: there may be times when an Event is required to provide the Colac Otway Shire with Certificate of Currencies for elements of major events.  Such as Traffic Management companies, Security companies and/or Children's Entertainment as these elements are considered high risk.  

Council’s event team will contact you with the next steps.

Next Steps

Depending on the type of event and the time of the year the event is held some further paperwork may be required.  Council’s event team will let you know what extra paperwork is required, but it could include:

  • Traffic Management Plan - If your events closes a road a traffic management plan must be developed by an accredited traffic management company.  You may also be required to contact Vic Roads for a permit.  Council's event department will let you know what is required.  If your event is closing LOCAL Shire roads, then a MoA form needs to be completed and submitted along with the Traffic Management Plan - please discuss this process with the Events Officer.  MoA Colac Otway Shire(XLS, 142KB)
  • Communication Plan - If you are closing a road you must notify residents in the road closed area and surrounding area of the changed traffic conditions at least 6 weeks before the event. The Communication Plan will outline how you will notify residents affected by any road closures for your event.  It will also include the resident notification letter.   You will also be required to advertise the road closure in the local newspapers. 
  • Bush Fire Plan - All events held within the Fire Danger Period (usually from December to May) must complete the Colac Otway Shire Bushfire Plan(PDF, 1MB).  
  • Stallholders - All stallholders selling food must register a Statement of Trade on the Streatrader website.  For more information on health requirements at events contact Council's Health department.
  • Consumption of Alcohol - If you are selling alcohol at your event you need to submit a Permit from Council and you will be required to obtain a Temporary Liquor License. Consumption-of-Liquor-in-a-Public-Place-Application-2021.pdf(PDF, 185KB)
  • Contacting other agencies - You must notify Emergency Services in your area of your event, especially if you are closing the road.  Emergency service to be notified include:
    • Victoria Police
    • CFA
    • Ambulance Victoria
    • SES

Other Permits Possibly Required

  • Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) or Siting Permits - Your event may require a POPE or Siting Permit depending on the size of the event, number of people attending or the use of a temporary structure such as a stage, marquee or tent.
  • Planning Permit - If your event is held on private land you will be required to obtain a Planning Permit, please allow plenty of time to obtain the correct permit. (check) Council's event department will notify you if these permits are required.   

Depending where your event is held there may be other permits required. 

Council’s Event team will advise you of which permits you need but they could include:

  • Department of Transport (DOT)
  • Victoria Police
  • Parks Victoria
  • Great Ocean Road Coast and Parks Authority - refer to 

Other helpful information:

Public Liability Insurance for Shire owned Facilities eg public hall is available by completing the attached form. 

This form can be completed and emailed to and can be paid either over the phone or at the Shire office. COS-Facilities-Public-Liability-Insurance.pdf(PDF, 227KB)

Sun Smart Events - If your event is planned between November to April, this information can be very valuable. 

Drone Use.  Please review these websites for further information. 

Drone Flyer

Aviation Australia - Rules for Recreational Drone Users

Other Event Information

Face Painting Health Guidelines(PDF, 1MB)

Marquees and Smaller Structures(PDF, 2MB)

Public Liability Insurance(PDF, 728KB)

Road Closures(PDF, 646KB)

Selling and Serving of Food and Alcohol(PDF, 469KB)

Sponsorship Information Plan(PDF, 1MB)