FAQ's on Detox Your Home
What is detox your home?
Detox your home is a mobile collection service for safe disposal of household chemicals.
Detox your home is held in October each year at the Colac Saleyards.
This year's event the date is yet to be confirmed by Sustainability Victoria.
Check what's accepted at Detox Your Home on the Sustainability Vic Website.
Subscribe to this page to keep up to date with the next Detox Your Home event.
What does it cost?
Detox your home is a FREE service.
Do I have to live in the municipality?
No. All collections are open to any Victorian resident.
Can I dispose of chemicals that I use for my business?
No. The service is only available for the disposal of household chemicals. Any business seeking to dispose of chemicals used for commercial or industrial purposes should contact a chemical collection service provider (look in the Yellow Pages or contact the Victorian Waste Management Association).
What do I do if I’m not sure what a chemical is?
Label it as 'unknown chemical'. Do not guess the chemical’s name.
Is there a limit to how much I can bring?
No. However, the maximum acceptable weight or size of any single container is 20 kg or 20 litres. The service is only for household chemicals. Chemicals used for farm, commercial or industrial processes will not be accepted.
How do I get the chemicals to the collection site?
Using your car or trailer. If you don’t have a car, perhaps friends, family or neighbours can help. There are a number of safety precautions you should observe when transporting chemicals, including:
- Travel with your car windows down if carrying flammable or odorous materials
- Keep chemicals in their original containers
- Ensure lids are tightly fitted. Protect taps on drums so that the tap does not break off
- Place containers of liquids in a tray or plastic bucket so that they do not spill or fall
- Pack powders and solids securely
- Keep corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid, away from poisons
- Keep oxidising agents, such as peroxide, away from all other materials
- double wrap old liquid containers in plastic bags to prevent leaking.
For further information visit the Sustainability Victoria - Detox your home website or call 1800 353 233.