Kerbside Green Waste Collection
Your green waste bin with the green lid is collected fortnightly on the same day. You should place your green waste bin on the kerb the night before collection day to ensure it gets emptied. Check when your green waste bin is to be collected so you don’t miss organics night.
Please call the Colac Otway Shire on 5232 9400 if:
- Your green waste bin is missing or broken
- Your green waste bin is not collected by 4pm on collection day
What can I put in my green waste bin?
- Grass clippings
- Garden prunings and rose clippings
- Leaves and bark
- Small branches and timber off cuts (max. 300mm long, 100mm diameter)
- Food scraps - fruit and vegetables
- Food scraps - meat, seafood and chicken
What can’t go in my green waste bin?
- Plastic bags
- String, twine or wire
- Soil, stones, brick or concrete
- Hazardous or chemical waste
- Stumps, large branches, timber or garden stakes
For more information on what can and can’t go in your bins see the A-Z waste guide. You can also find information on what goes in your garbage and what goes in your recycling and what goes in your green bin (FOGO bin)(PDF, 3MB)?
Kerbside Collection Charges
The Council charges a kerbside waste and recycling collection fee which appears on your rates notice. Our charges are for the following bins:
- 120 litre red lid garbage bin
- 240 litre yellow lid recycle bin
- 240 litre green lid organics bin
For more information regarding what to place in your organics bin please see our 20200911-FOGO-A4-A-Z-FACTSHEET-Colac-Otway.pdf(PDF, 3MB)
Want to know where your green waste goes? Check out this FOGO info sheet.(PDF, 2MB)
FOGO also have some great tips(PDF, 2MB) to avoid odour and mess in your green bin.
Need a new bin or your waste collected
Council can provide additional or replacement bins if necessary and your circumstances meet requirements. You can request a new bin or apply for waste collection from your property.
Don't let great taste go to waste, click on the love food hate waste website links below to find some delicious easy to make recipes and tips on how to save food.
Extra Organics kerbside collections
Council offers an extra kerbside organics collection from during October and November, anytime you are scheduled to put your red general waste bin you can also put out your green organic waste bin. Please check your waste calendars for dates (highlighted in purple on waste calendars)
It's simple! Red bin = Green bin