Kerbside Green Waste Collection
Your FOGO (Food Organics Garden Organics) green waste bin with the green lid is collected fortnightly on the same day.
You should place your green waste bin on the kerb the night before collection day to ensure it gets emptied.
Check when your green waste bin is to be collected so you don’t miss organics night.
Please contact the Colac Otway Shire if:
Your green waste bin is missing or broken. Download an application form for a replacement bin or call to repair your bin.
Your green waste bin is not collected by 4pm on collection day. You can use our Submit a Request form to report a missed collection or get in touch with us by phone.
What can I put in my green waste bin?
Anything that lives or grows is FOGO!
- Food scraps - fruit and vegetables
- Food scraps - meat, seafood and chicken
- Grass clippings
- Garden prunings and rose clippings
- Leaves and bark
- Small branches and timber off cuts (max. 300mm long, 100mm diameter)
What can’t go in my green waste bin?
- Plastic bags/ soft plastics - recycle at Coles supermarket
- Recyclables – put in the yellow or purple bin
- Garbage – put in your red bin
- Nappies – put in your red bin
- String, twine or wire – put in your red bin
- Syringes - see ‘Other waste items’
- Soil, stones, brick or concrete
- Hazardous or chemical waste
- Stumps, large branches, timber or garden stakes
For more information regarding what to place in your Green (FOGO) organics bin please see our FOGO Fact Sheet(PDF, 3MB).
Want to know where your green waste goes? Check out this FOGO info sheet(PDF, 1MB) . FOGO also have some great tips(PDF, 2MB) to avoid odour and mess in your green bin.
See the A-Z waste guide for a list of what can and can’t go in your bins. You can also find information on what goes in your garbage and what goes in your recycling.
Need a new bin or your waste collected?
Council can provide additional or replacement bins if necessary and your circumstances meet requirements. You can request a new bin or apply for waste collection from your property.
Extra organics kerbside collections - October and November
Council offers an extra kerbside organics collection during October and November. Anytime you are scheduled to put your yellow recycle bin out, you can also put out your green (FOGO) organic waste bin. Please check your waste calendars for dates (highlighted in orange on waste calendars)
It's simple! On weeks that your Yellow recycle bin get collected place your Green (FOGO) bin out too.
Be a good sort! Use the right bin, help reduce waste going to landfill.
Kerbside Collection Charges
The Council charges a kerbside waste and recycling collection fee which appears on your rates notice. Our charges are for the following bins:
- 120 litre red lid garbage bin
- 240 litre yellow lid recycle bin / 120 litre purple lidded glass bin (NEW - starting November 2021)
- 240 litre green lid organics bin