Colac Otway Shire Council - Planning Enforcement
Golf course at Apollo Bay, Waterfall in the Otways, Crater Lakes at Red Rock Colac Otway Shire Logo
Skip Links
Media Centre  Payments  Shire Statistics  Council Documents  Forms  Employment  Public Notices  Directories  Current Tenders  Maps  

About the Council
About the Shire
Apollo Bay Harbour
Arts and culture
Disclaimer and Copyright
Economic Development and Business
Emergency Management and Fire Prevention
Environment Public Documents
Festivals and Events
Family and Children's Services
Food Safety
Health Services
Lake Colac
Library Services
Colac Regional Saleyards
Local Laws
Older Persons and Ability Support Services
Planning and Building Services
Public Notices
Rates and Property
Roads and Infrastructure
Sport and Recreation
Tourism Services
Transport Connections
Volunteering in the Colac Otway Shire
Waste and Recycling Services

A - Z Index
Contact Us
Last 10 Pages Updated

   A A Larger text  

   Page Last Updated:
 Monday, 13 April 2015
 Home>Planning and Building Services>Planning Enforcement  
Planning Enforcement  Printer Friendly

Planning Enforcement
It is Council's responsibility to enforce compliance with the Planning & Environment Act 1987, and of conditions of issued planning permits.

Council has a planning enforcement officer whose full time role is to investigate complaints and potential breaches of the Planning Scheme.

Persons who believe there has been a breach of the Scheme or planning permit condition should contact Councils Enforcement Department on 03 5232 9473 and the matter will be investigated.

Council has several options when a breach is established including:

  • Issuing a Planning Infringement Notice (fine and instructions to address the breach)
  • Lodging an application for a Planning Enforcement Order at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).  If the matter is urgent, Council can seek an Interim Enforcement Order which results in an immediate response.
  • Prosecution in the Magistrates Court.

Council always seeks to resolve non compliance with the Planning Scheme before taking these formal steps, but often needs to take formal action to ensure that compliance is achieved.

Persons other than Council are able to take action when there is a breach of the Planning Scheme or to an issued permit, by lodging an enforcement order application at VCAT themselves.


External Web Links
 Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
 Planning & Environment Act 197
 Department of Planning & Community Development
 Colac Otway Planning Scheme

Colac Otway Shire Council  This is the official web site of Colac Otway Shire Council,  ©2016.
PO Box 283, Colac, Victoria   3250   Tel: (03) 5232 9400   Fax: (03) 5232 9586 
Disclaimer & Copyright |  Privacy Statement |  Freedom of Information |
About this Site  | Remove Images | Save Settings