Colac Otway Shire Council - Planning and Building Services
Golf course at Apollo Bay, Waterfall in the Otways, Crater Lakes at Red Rock Colac Otway Shire Logo
Skip Links
Media Centre  Payments  Shire Statistics  Council Documents  Forms  Employment  Public Notices  Directories  Current Tenders  Maps  

About the Council
About the Shire
Apollo Bay Harbour
Arts and culture
Beechy Precinct
Bluewater Fitness Centre
Disclaimer and Copyright
Economic Development and Business
Emergency Management and Fire Prevention
Environment Public Documents
Family and Children's Services
Food Safety
Health Services
Lake Colac
Library Services
Colac Regional Saleyards
Local Laws
Older Persons and Ability Support Services
Planning and Building Services
Statutory Planning
Strategic Planning
Planning Enforcement
Public Notices
Rates and Property
Roads and Infrastructure
Sport and Recreation
Tourism Services
Transport Connections
Volunteering in the Colac Otway Shire
Waste and Recycling Services

A - Z Index
Contact Us
Last 10 Pages Updated

   A A Larger text  

   Page Last Updated:
 Tuesday, 13 January 2015
 Home>Planning and Building Services  
Planning and Building Services
Planning and Building

Statutory Planning

Applications, Checklists, Requirements etc.
 Planning and Building


Information on building permits, pools, smoke alarms etc.
Planning Map 8 December 2011

Strategic Planning

Current Planning Scheme Amendments, Current Projects & Completed Plans & Studies
 Planning Enforcement

Planning Enforcement

Breach of Colac Otway Shire Planning Scheme or planning permit conditions etc.

The Planning and Building Departments deliver a wide range of regulatory services and play an important policy development role.  

Council's Planning Department has the responsibility of controlling land use and development under the Planning and Environment Act, through the provisions of the Colac Otway Planning Scheme, and for administering subdivision in accordance with the Subdivision Act 1988. A Planning Enforcement Officer plays an active role responding to complaints and ensuring compliance with approved planning permits and the Planning Scheme.
Council is also responsible for amending the Planning Scheme from time to time, including the rezoning of land, although all decisions are subject to final approval by the State Planning Minister. Council is required to review its Planning Scheme every four years, with the latest review being completed in 2010. Council implements State Planning Policy through its local provisions, and its Strategic Planning Unit undertakes a range of strategic planning projects aimed at guiding future use and development in the Shire, which often leads to amendments to the Scheme.
Council's Building Department is responsible for carrying out the Council's statutory functions under the Building Act. These functions cover community safety and the administration and enforcement of building legislation, such as requirements for barriers on spas and swimming pools and essential safety measures for commercial buildings.  Services provided by the Building Department include issuing Building Permits and inspections, Demolition Consent, Siting Variations and resolving works carried out without a Building Permit
Whilst in most cases a Building Permit is required for proposed buildings and works, a Planning Permit is often also required, and proponents of new development should always check the need for both a Planning and Building Permit.



Colac Otway Shire Council  This is the official web site of Colac Otway Shire Council,  ©2015.
PO Box 283, Colac, Victoria   3250   Tel: (03) 5232 9400   Fax: (03) 5232 9586 
Disclaimer & Copyright |  Privacy Statement |  Freedom of Information |
About this Site  | Remove Images | Save Settings