Colac Otway Shire Council - How to Apply for A Building Permit
Golf course at Apollo Bay, Waterfall in the Otways, Crater Lakes at Red Rock Colac Otway Shire Logo
Skip Links
Media Centre  Payments  Shire Statistics  Council Documents  Forms  Employment  Public Notices  Directories  Current Tenders  Maps  

About the Council
About the Shire
Apollo Bay Harbour
Arts and culture
Beechy Precinct
Bluewater Fitness Centre
Disclaimer and Copyright
Economic Development and Business
Emergency Management and Fire Prevention
Environment Public Documents
Family and Children's Services
Food Safety
Health Services
Lake Colac
Library Services
Colac Regional Saleyards
Local Laws
Older Persons and Ability Support Services
Planning and Building Services
Public Notices
Rates and Property
Roads and Infrastructure
Sport and Recreation
Tourism Services
Transport Connections
Volunteering in the Colac Otway Shire
Waste and Recycling Services

A - Z Index
Contact Us
Last 10 Pages Updated

   A A Larger text  

   Page Last Updated:
 Tuesday, 1 July 2014
 Home>Planning and Building Services>Building>Building Permits>How to Apply for A Building Permit  
How to Apply for A Building Permit  Printer Friendly

A Building Permit can be issued by the Council's Municipal Building Surveyor or by a Private Building Surveyor. A Private Surveyor carries out the same functions as the Municipal Surveyor, including assessment of the application, inspections and issuing all relevant paperwork.

On application, your chosen surveyor becomes the Relevant Building Surveyor for the works. To apply through a Private Surveyor please contact the surveyor for the relevant application form. Council's application form can be found here.

Building permit applications must be submitted with the relevant documents for assessment, the required documents are listed in the tables below.

Council is unable to assess permit applications until the application fee has been paid, fees are based on the total value of your building works/project (based on a commercial rate).

Please contact Councilís Building Department on (03) 5232 9400 to obtain advice on fees.

Documents Required for All Permits
Construction Plans   Plans of construction, showing floor plan, elevations, and sectional details. These must include all materials and dimensions and methods of construction   3    
Site Plan   Allotment plan showing existing buildings, proposed buildings and buildings on adjoining allotments within 10m of the boundary. These must include distances between buildings and boundaries in relation to the proposed works   3    
Title   Full copy of current title, including the allotment plan.   1    

Documents Required if Applicable
Owner Builder Certificate of Consent   Certificate of Consent for Owner Builders where domestic works are over $12,000. Application kits are available from Council Offices or the Building Commission website.   1    
Builders Home Owners Warranty Insurance Certificate   Certificate of Insurance from the builder where domestic works are over $16,000. This certificate is obtained from your builder and is specific to your works   1    
Structural Computations   Structural Engineers Report, including plans and Certificate of Compliance, for structural members   3    
Energy Rating Report   Required for new/re-erected dwellings and alterations or extensions where works are over 25% of the original dwelling. Note: Report required to cover entire dwelling if alterations/extensions are over 50% of the original dwelling   3    
Planning Permit   Planning Permit may be required to carry out the works. Please contact Council's Planning Department on 03 5232 9412 for advice   1    
Septic Tank Approval   Permit to Install or Alter the Septic Tank if property is not sewered. Please contact Council's Health Department on 03 5232 9429 for advice   1    

Additional Documentation Required For:
New Dwellings   Soil/Geotechnical Report   3    
Alterations/Extensions of a Building   Floor plan showing the existing building   1    
Demolition/Removal of a Building   Demolition Procedure. Note works must be carried out by a registered Demolisher   3    
Re-Erection of a Building   $5,000 bond or bank guarantee to ensure completions of works. This is refunded on issuance of the Occupancy Permit. Note works must be carried out by a registered Removalist   1    


Colac Otway Shire Council  This is the official web site of Colac Otway Shire Council,  ©2015.
PO Box 283, Colac, Victoria   3250   Tel: (03) 5232 9400   Fax: (03) 5232 9586 
Disclaimer & Copyright |  Privacy Statement |  Freedom of Information |
About this Site  | Remove Images | Save Settings