Colac Otway Shire Council - Building
Golf course at Apollo Bay, Waterfall in the Otways, Crater Lakes at Red Rock Colac Otway Shire Logo
Skip Links
Media Centre  Payments  Shire Statistics  Council Documents  Forms  Employment  Public Notices  Directories  Current Tenders  Maps  

About the Council
About the Shire
Apollo Bay Harbour
Arts and culture
Disclaimer and Copyright
Economic Development and Business
Emergency Management and Fire Prevention
Environment Public Documents
Festivals and Events
Family and Children's Services
Food Safety
Health Services
Lake Colac
Library Services
Colac Regional Saleyards
Local Laws
Older Persons and Ability Support Services
Planning and Building Services
Public Notices
Rates and Property
Roads and Infrastructure
Sport and Recreation
Tourism Services
Transport Connections
Volunteering in the Colac Otway Shire
Waste and Recycling Services

A - Z Index
Contact Us
Last 10 Pages Updated

   A A Larger text  

   Page Last Updated:
 Tuesday, 20 October 2015
 Home>Planning and Building Services>Building  
Building  Printer Friendly

Welcome to Councils Building Department.

The Building Department provides a number of services including issuing Building Permits, Report & Consents, enforcement of illegal works and maintaining records of all building permits issued (including those issued by private building surveyors) and provides statutory building services in accordance with the Act.

Most building works require a building permit irrespective of their size and cost so contact Council to discuss your building proposal.

For further information on the services provided by the Building Department please see the links below

Planning and Building
 Do I need a Building Permit?   Common types of building work and whether you need a building permit to undertake them
 How do I apply for a Building Permit?   The steps and resources for getting a Building Permit
 Apply for Council Consent   Council Consent for a Variation to a Siting Regulation
 Protecting Neighbouring Properties   If you are doing any works you need to undertake preventative measures to ensure your neighbours property is not damaged
 Building and Occupancy Permit Registers   List of permits that have been issued to begin construction, or those that have been completed and are now fit for use
 Enforcement of Building Regulations   What if I carry out building works without a Building Permit
 Building Advice   Requirements and advice notes for building in bushfire areas, constructing fences, swimming pools & Spas, rain water tanks. Also general advice on termites and energy rating
 Apply for Building Certificate, Plans and Information Requests   Access building certificate requests prior to buying, building or altering a property
 Advice for Owner Builders   Processes and information for owner builders
 Fencing Requirements   Fencing and your obligations
 Frequently Asked Questions   Answers to some of the more frequently asked questions
 Event Permits   Information on Place of Public Entertainment (PoPE) and Temporary Structure Permits

Is your Pool/Spa ready for Summer?
More information on requirements for pools, spas and safety barriers, including maintenace, can be found here.

REMINDER - All swimming pools or spas that can contain over 300mm of water requires a compliant safety barrier.  This includes inflatable or temporary pools.

A Building Permit is required to be issued prior to the installation of the safety barrier.


Colac Otway Shire Council  This is the official web site of Colac Otway Shire Council,  ©2016.
PO Box 283, Colac, Victoria   3250   Tel: (03) 5232 9400   Fax: (03) 5232 9586 
Disclaimer & Copyright |  Privacy Statement |  Freedom of Information |
About this Site  | Remove Images | Save Settings