Pest & problem animals

Report wandering animals

Wandering livestock, pets and pest animals can pose a danger to public safety.

Protect your livestock and pets, and avoid impoundment fees, by keeping them secured on your property.

If you see any animals roaming on streets or roads, or which appear to be at risk of wandering from a property, make a report to Council on (03) 5232  9400. This is particularly important if you spot any dangerous dogs wandering the streets.

Feral and pest animals

Feral animals threaten our native wildlife.

Foxes, rabbits, domestic animals, and even the family pet may prey on wildlife or compete for food. There are some 20 introduced mammals and two bird species considered pests under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994 that have caused both environmental and economic damage. The absence of natural predators and our temperate climate has enabled these animals to thrive in a wide range of environments. They may dominate a site and displace many native plants and animals, contributing to a severe decline in biodiversity.

Under the Catchment and Land Protection Act landowners are responsible for controlling pest animals on their property. As with noxious weeds, penalties can occur if control works are not carried out. There are a range of vermin control techniques available. However, not all will be suitable for your situation. Ensure you study your options carefully before deciding which is right for you.

Remember that help is always available. For advice on the control of vermin, contact the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning on 136 186 or visit the DELWP website.

Cat traps

Cats wandering the neighbourhood at night can become a problem and are a threat to our native wildlife. 

If you have a problem cat that is often on your property, Council can provide cat traps for hire for $15 per week, with a $50 deposit refunded when the cage is returned.

Trapped cats can be delivered to the Shire Pound between 8.30am and 5pm on weekdays. Microchipped domestic cats may be impounded or returned to their owners. Council will impound any cats not microchipped.

Application forms for hiring a cat trap are available on Council's local laws & compliance forms page, or you can call the compliance unit on (03) 5232 9400. 

Pest control

Council officers can provide pest control advice on pests such as rats and mice, cockroaches, fleas, spiders.

Insects and spiders brought to the unit can most often be identified, or at least referred to the Melbourne Museum for identification.