Neighbourhood Safer Places
Bushfire Places of Last Resort
Neighbourhood Safer Places are places of last resort when all other bushfire plans have failed.
Neighbourhood Safer Places (NSPs) are:
- Locations that may provide some protection from direct flame and radiant heat, but they do not guarantee safety.
- Not an alternative to planning to leave early or to stay and defend your property; they are a place of last resort if all other fire plans have failed.
- An existing location and not a purpose-built, fire-proof structure.
NSPs are identified with a green and white sign that includes the words 'Bushfire Neighbourhood Safer Place — A Place of Last Resort' (as depicted to the left).
An NSP may be at a local sports field, foreshore or park, or it may be located within a community facility, such as a hall, community centre or school. It is important to know that NSPs are not always a building or structure — they can simply be a clearing that provides a level of protection from radiant heat.
Neighbourhood safer places are established by Council. Colac Otway Shire’s Neighbourhood Safer Places are:
| Apollo Bay
|| Apollo Bay Foreshore
||Great Ocean Road (Collingwood Street) between Nelson Street and Moore Street Apollo Bay 3233
|| Beeac Park
|| Corner of Main Street (Colac-Ballarat Road) and Wallace Street Beeac 3251
Grassed area at northern corner
| 35-39 Main Street (Corner of Strachan Street) Birregurra 3242
Rex Norman Park
| Corner of Colac-Lavers Hill Road and Old Beech Forest Road Gellibrand 3239
The Country Fire Authority provides detailed information on Neighbourhood Safer Places here.
- Travelling when there is a bushfire can be extremely dangerous. Roads may be busy or blocked by trees, it may be hard to see due to smoke, and there may be embers and spot fires
- Going to a Neighbourhood Safer Places — Bushfire Place of Last Resort does not guarantee your survival and should only be used when your bushfire plans have failed or cannot be implemented
- There is no guarantee that the Country Fire Authority or any other emergency services will be present
- Food and drinks or medical services are not provided at NSPs
- NSPs have limited capacity
- There is no provision for animals
- Many houses may provide better protection than an NSP.