Council’s Family Day Care Scheme offers quality childcare that is based in a home environment. The service can look after children from birth to 12 years of age. We provide small groups which allow children the opportunity to get the individual attention that they need.
The care provided is flexible. Family Day Care can provide full time care or part time care, be on a casual basis, before or after school or kindergarten, cover shift work and in an emergency, provide 24-hour care.
All educators registered with the scheme are closely monitored and must comply with regulatory requirements outlined by the government. They are resourced and supported by the Council.
Family Day Care is sponsored by the Colac Otway Shire Council and receives Community Support Program funding from the Commonwealth Government.
Our service is also registered for Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate which can be obtained through the Centrelink and Family Assistance Office.
Our service has been assessed under the National Quality Standards and has a rating of Meeting the National Quality Standards (for more info regarding the National Quality Standards visit the family section of the ACECQA website
Using Family Day Care is a great choice for your children, the small group environment will allow your child that one–on-one care they receive at home and give them a great foundation of learning for when they participate in school and kindergarten.
To find out more about Colac Otway Shire Council’s Family Day Care service call into the office and speak to the Family Day Care team directly or collect one of our information packs contact the team:
Family Day Care Coordination Unit, 2-6 Rae Street Colac, Telephone: 0352329400
We are also available via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Day Care Family Enrolment Form(DOCX, 148KB)
Family Day Care Individual Child Enrolment Form(DOCX, 147KB)
Family Day Care Family Handbook(PDF, 2MB)
If you enjoy working with children, and want to make a difference in their lives by providing quality care and learning experiences from your own nurturing home environment, then family day care could be your career of choice!
Being a FDC Educator is a very rewarding and fulfilling career choice. It provides you with a flexible work arrangements and an opportunity to work with a small group of children in a homelike environment.
You have the support of Council’s coordination unit and access to a wide range of resources and training opportunities.
Before you can work as a Family Day Care educator, you must:
- be at least 18 years old
- have and maintain a current Working with Children Check
- have and maintain a current National Criminal History Check
- have and maintain evidence of current public liability insurance at your residence
- have and maintain current approved first aid, anaphylaxis and emergency asthma management qualification/s
- have or be actively working towards, an approved Certificate III level qualification in Children Services, or higher. For more information, visit the Australian’s Children Education & Care Quality Authority website
The FDC Coordination Unit must assess your home before you start providing education and care, and must reassess it at least every year.
The Coordination Unit must ensure that the parts of your home to be used to provide education and care are safe, clean and in good repair.
The Coordination Unit must ensure there is enough furniture, materials and developmentally-appropriate equipment for the children in your care.
Your home must be a safe and secure environment for the children in your care including ensuring but not limited to:
- indoor spaces are well ventilated with enough natural light and a temperature is maintained that ensures the safety, health and wellbeing of children.
- any glassed area accessible to children that is of or below the height above floor level, specified by AS 1288-2006 Glass in buildings—Selection and installation, or is 0.75 metres or less above floor level (if venue or residence approved before 1 June 2014) must be glazed with safety glass (if the Building Code of Australia requires this) OR in any other case, glass must be treated with a product that prevents glass from shattering if broken or guarded by barriers that prevent a child from striking or falling against it.
- all outdoor space used by children is enclosed by a fence or barrier that is of a height and design that prevents children of preschool age or under from going through, over or under
- a first aid kit that is suitably equipped and easily recognisable is readily accessible to adults
- every reasonable precaution must be taken to protect children from harm and from any hazard likely to cause injury.
- there is access to an operating telephone or other similar means of communication for immediate communication to and from parents and emergency services.
If you are interested in knowing more about becoming a FDC Educator, please call the Family Day Care Coordination Unit on 52329400. Educator packs can also be obtained from our office.
Family Day Care Educator Position Description(PDF, 277KB)
Family Day Care Educator Application Form(PDF, 282KB)
Family Day Care Educators Information Booklet(PDF, 333KB)
All Family Day Care Educators who work for our service work within a fee structure that is governed by Colac Otway Shire.
Service Fees include:
- Hourly rate for standard hours of care 8:00am – 6:00pm
- Hourly rate for non-standard hours of care 6:00pm – 8:00am
Colac Otway Service Family Day care charge an administration Levy to families for the use of the service.
Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate are available to help reduce the cost of your childcare fees.
Parents and Guardians must inform Centrelink that they are using an approved childcare service to claim either or both the Child Care Benefit and the Child Care Rebate.
Family Day Care Fees & Charges 2017/2018(PDF, 238KB)
Assistance in the Cost of Child care(PDF, 360KB)
What is Childcare Benefit (CCB)?(PDF, 366KB)
What is the Childcare Rebate (CCR)?(PDF, 464KB)